Give thanks in all circumstances,
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

-1 Thessalonians 5:18


If you are like most Christians or anything like me, certainly, you have heard yourself lamenting "I just want to know God's will!" It may be a situation where you have to make a tough decision...like where to live or which job offer to accept or where to place your children in school or whether to homeschool.

That is why I love this simple verse nestled at the end of Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians. He clearly states "THIS is God's will for you!"

So what is it?

To give thanks!

So that is what I choose to do! I choose to hunker down into the heart of God's will for me today and I urge you to do the same. I choose to give thanks in all circumstances--even if they don't quite line up the way I wish they would have.

Lord, thank you so much for a godly pastor who has sought hard after your will. Thank you that he has been with us for these many years and that he has diligently studied your Word and brought what you have laid on his heart to the people.

Thank you for godly Christian men who serve this body on the elder board. Thank you for their perseverance through tough times and joy. Thank you for their late nights and for the sacrifices made by their families, too.

Thank you for the deacons who are such servants of God and people as well. They, too, serve so faithfully and quietly, allowing their praise to come from God! Thank you!

Thank you for Pastor Dean who brings such a sense of godly Christian confidence in a God he has served in the ministry for over 50 years. His strength and the peace he exudes is such a bastion of encouragement. Thank you for his wisdom in imparting your truth through sharing your Word as well.

Thank you for an amazing youth pastor who has wisdom beyond his years, a passion for truth and for you, and for the kids he serves. Thank you that he has a heart for worship and that he serves the entire body by leading us in worship each Sunday.

Thank you for the men and women that serve behind the scenes at Cool Community Church--for those who faithfully vacuum the carpets and replace the soap in the soap dispenser in the women's restroom, for those who fix whatever ends up breaking, for those who coordinate pot-lucks, wind-up microphone cords, and those who push the button on the computer so that we can read the words to the worship music on the screen. Thank you for those who lead our children, change diapers in the nursery, mow the lawns, take out the garbage. Lord, there are so many faithful people who serve you without ever looking to be praised or thanked. We are so fortunate as without them, we wouldn't manage!

Please bless each and every one of these precious folks today, Lord.

Lord, today I choose joy. I choose to grab a hold of each moment for everything that it is worth and to squeeze out of it every bit of blessing that you intend. I choose gratitude and humility. I choose to exalt you instead of self. I choose your will, instead of my will.

Thank you for a church home where my family and I can worship you here on the Georgetown Divide just 5 minutes from our home with other like-minded believers.

Thank you for the adventure that is ahead as we step into uncharted territory!

~ Heidi Bylsma